Making a Murderer Critical Thinking Questions and Activities for Episodes 8-10, Season 1
Engage your students in meaningful debate and critical-thinking exercises using my materials for teaching "Making a Murderer," the popular Netflix® documentary about Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey. Students will not only view and analyze the episodes, but they will read and research primary documents. This is nonfiction your students will WANT to read, research, dissect, and evaluate.
**This IS included in my Making a Murderer Complete Teaching Unit (Season 1, Episodes 1-10)
The "Making a Murderer" Episodes 8-10, Season 1 critical-thinking exercises includes the following:
- Questions and activities for episodes 8, 9, and 10 that are standards-based and practice critical-thinking skills (24 questions total).
- Editable files for each episode of the documentary. These files may be shared electronically with your students. (Google Classroom, Edmodo, Notability, etc.)
- Word origins activity for episode 8.
- Research activity after viewing episode 10.
- Comprehensive teacher's answer key with detailed answers and further discussion prompts.
The zipped folder contains separate Microsoft Word files (.doc and .docx) for each episode; PDF version of all the episode activities; and PDF teacher's answer key.
The editable versions can be used for a paperless activity by sharing it on a secured site such as Google Classroom or Edmodo. Perfect for the flipped classroom!
Use this resource in conjunction with the following Making a Murderer materials:
• Making a Murderer Complete Teaching Unit (Season 1, Episodes 1-10)
(This file is included in my unit.)
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 1-10
(This file is included in this bundle.)
• Making a Murderer Presentation for Episodes 1-10 (Who’s Who in the Documentary)
• Making a Murderer Pre-Viewing Anticipation Guide and Questions
• Making a Murderer Vocabulary Exercises Episodes 1-10 Season 1
• Making a Murderer Episode Analysis Questions for ANY Episode
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episode 1
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 2-3
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 4-5
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 6-7
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 8-10
• Making a Murderer Final Writing Assessments
FOLLOW ME to get email updates when I post additional Making a Murderer teaching resources
Why use "Making a Murderer" in the classroom?
- Hooks and engages students
- Students participate in lively discussions and debates
- Practices critical-thinking skills
- Practices problem-solving skills
- It's relevant right now
PLEASE NOTE: I use this with high school upperclassmen. Because of the content of the series, use your discretion to decide if it is appropriate for your students. The series is rated for audiences ages 14 and up, but it may not be suitable for your students/school community. I highly recommend using permission slips for parent consent.
Created and Copyrighted by Tracee Orman
DISCLAIMER: This resource is not affiliated with the producers of “Making a Murderer,” Netflix™, the families or people involved, or any of the previous-mentioned partners or associates. It is for EDUCATIONAL purposes only.
The NGA Center/CCSSO are the sole owners and developers of the Common Core State Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.