Making a Murderer Questions & Critical-Thinking Analysis for Season 1 Episode 1 "Eighteen Years Lost"
Engage your students in meaningful debate and critical-thinking exercises using my materials for teaching "Making a Murderer," the popular Netflix® documentary about Steven Avery. Students will not only view and analyze the episodes, but they will read and research primary documents. This is nonfiction your students will WANT to read, research, dissect, and evaluate.
The "Making a Murderer" Episode 1, Season 1 questions and analysis includes the following:
- Standards-based comprehension questions that coincide with the documentary
- Analysis of a series of events that includes collecting data and using the evidence, logic, and reasoning to support an opinion
- Comprehensive teacher's answer key that includes standards-alignment and visual aides
**This IS included in my Making a Murderer Complete Teaching Unit (Season 1, Episodes 1-10)**
The zipped folder contains both a PDF version and an editable Word document (.doc and .docx) of the questions and activity. The editable version can be used for a paperless activity by sharing it on a secured site such as Google Classroom or Edmodo. Perfect for the flipped classroom!
The folder also contains a separate teacher's answer key.
Use this resource in conjunction with the following Making a Murderer materials:
• Making a Murderer Complete Teaching Unit (Season 1, Episodes 1-10)
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 1-10 (Includes final writing assessments)
(Individual episode files can be purchased separately; see below.)
• Making a Murderer Presentation for Episodes 1-10 (Who’s Who in the Documentary)
• Making a Murderer Vocabulary Exercises Episodes 1-10 Season 1
• Making a Murderer Pre-Viewing Anticipation Guide and Questions
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 1-10
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episode 1
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 2-3
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 4-5
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 6-7
• Making a Murderer Questions and Analysis for Season 1, Episodes 8-10
• Making a Murderer Final Writing Assessments
• Making a Murderer Episode Analysis Questions for ANY Episode
FOLLOW ME to get email updates when I post additional Making a Murderer teaching resources
Why use "Making a Murderer" in the classroom?
- Hooks and engages students
- Students participate in lively discussions and debates
- Practices critical-thinking skills
- Practices problem-solving skills
- It's relevant right now
PLEASE NOTE: I use this with high school upperclassmen. Because of the content of the series, use your discretion to decide if it is appropriate for your students. The series is rated for audiences ages 14 and up, but it may not be suitable for your students/school community. I highly recommend using permission slips for parent consent.
Created and Copyrighted by Tracee Orman
DISCLAIMER: This resource is not affiliated with the producers of “Making a Murderer,” Netflix™, the families or people involved, or any of the previous-mentioned partners or associates. It is for EDUCATIONAL purposes only.
The NGA Center/CCSSO are the sole owners and developers of the Common Core State Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.