This novel guide for middle grades provides a framework for a novel study using the Common Core Anchor Standards for English Language Arts. Sample lessons have been carefully crafted to frame authentic tasks for thoughtful reading, writing, and discussion. Opportunities are carefully designed for:
• Close reading of the text and using text evidence
• Independent reading of challenging text
• Routine writing and writing for specific purposes (i.e., opinion,
argumentative, narrative, informational).
• Whole class, group work, partner work, and independent work.
• Cross genre study (i.e. using literary fiction with
• Mini-lessons for small group or individual work (i.e., close
reading, annotation, writing process).
Each lesson references the research base, and teacher notes for implementation. Each lesson is an integrated language arts approach: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.