***Updated and Differentiated*** In this ready-to-go, Common Core-aligned, biographical article and activity mini-unit about Malala, the seventeen year old Nobel Peace Prize winner, Beginner to Intermediate ESL students practice reading and responding to informational text. It can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or for an emergency sub plan. I designed this resource with upper-level elementary, middle school, and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. My goal is to create ESL materials that are appropriate for both. Included in this resource are:
1. Malala biographical article (1.5 pages)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 & 3 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural words are also identified in the chart.
3. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences taken from the reading.
4. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary word. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
5. Vocabulary Cards: Words and definitions on cards. Great for matching activities, such as Memory, or word walls.
6. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into past tense.
7. Text feature Identification: Students identify text features like title, subheadings, topic and concluding sentences, and sequence of events.
8. Question Annotation: Students underline question words once, verbs twice, and circle the subject.
9. Reading Comprehension: After students annotate questions, they answer comprehension questions using complete sentences.
10. Cause and Effect worksheet based on reading.
11. Paragraph-Writing Outline: 4 differentiated paragraph-writing outlines with scaffolding for students at different writing levels. Blank paragraph-writing outline and answer key also included. Sections for topic sentence, details, examples, and concluding sentence.
12. Paragraph Writing Template
13. CCSS Alignment and Teaching Tips
Anne Frank Biographical Article & Activities for ESL
ESL Human Rights Leaders Informational Texts, Activities, & Final Hero Project
Nelson Mandela Biographical Article & Activities
Gandhi Biographical Article & Activities
Cesar Chavez Biographical Article & Activities
Aung San Suu Kyi Biographical Article & Activities
Harriet Tubman Biographical Article and Activities for ESL
Martin Luther King, Jr. Biographical Article & Activities
Roberto Clemente Biographical Article & Activities