Scientists estimate that about 8 million metric tons of plastic enter the ocean each year.
Mr. Binnacle talks with Shell Webster, the Education Coordinator at the Science Center, about micro plastics, tiny pieces of plastic that measure less than 5mm in size.
He learns that:
-Toxins stick to these plastics and can be ingested by marine life.
-Marine animals can starve as a result of ingesting micro plastics.
-Harmful toxins ingested by fish and marine animals can be ingested by humans.
-Micro plastics are sometimes contained in the form of micro beads in everyday products, like toothpaste and facial scrubs.
-We can all help to prevent plastics from entering the oceans.
You can download it here to share with your students: https://vimeo.com/336401421