Also included in
- Help kids and young adults utilize coping strategies, or coping skills, and mindfulness to manage stress and challenging emotions including anger, anxiety, depression, restlessness, and more. Resources in this bundle include over 570 pages focused on teaching and practicing coping strategies and min$145.00$193.00Save $48.00
Use this activity to help kids learn strategies for managing their emotions and developing self-regulation skills. Kids and young adults will identify emotions and coping strategies to help them manage those emotions. Then, they will put together a wheel craft that helps them identify their emotions and strategies on the spot. This craft includes over 20 unique coping strategies and 12 emotions for kids and young adults to choose from. Students can also make their own.
Why Teach How to Manage Emotions
Everyone experiences the ups and downs of emotions throughout the day or week. Teaching kids and young adults how to manage their emotions can help them cope with challenging feelings, including anger, sadness, frustration, worry, and more. The goal is that kids can learn to cope with those feelings by using healthy coping strategies in moments of stress.
How to Use
First, students will complete a worksheet that explains what it means to manage our emotions. Then, you can choose three different options for students to complete. Note that detailed student directions with photos are included for all three versions:
• Individualized Version - Students make their own wheels by cutting and pasting in their individualized strategies and emotions.
• Pre-Made Version - Students put together pre-made wheels that are already set up for them. This is a time-saving option with less cutting and gluing. They can still choose between different wheels that are already created.
• Blank Version - Students can make their own wheels by writing and coloring in their own emotions and strategies. This is a helpful option if you work with a student with completely individualized needs and strategies.
Students will color, cut out, and put their wheels together. Let students practice understanding their emotions and strategies by playing with their wheels in partners or groups. Encourage students to read each others’ coping strategies and even practice them, when appropriate. This can be a great activity in small groups to discuss strategies and identify what works best for each individual student.
Best of all, kids can keep their Managing My Emotions Wheel for times when they need extra support. They can use it to help them pick a coping strategy when they are feeling anxious, stressed, sad, or angry.
Need MORE Coping Strategies?
This is a HUGE bundle with over 500 pages focused on teaching mindfulness and coping strategies to encourage self-control, happiness, positivity, and many more positive outcomes. It contains a variety of lessons, workbooks, posters, task cards, foldable crafts, and much more!
Materials are for personal and classroom use (not commercial use). To clarify, educators may use materials with their students and/or caseload. Educators, parents, and support professionals may use materials for private tutoring/support with students/clients on a small scale basis. Materials may NOT be used within online paid courses, such as Outschool or Udemy. Please reach out to me with any specific questions on this.
Materials may not be posted freely on the Internet, such as a classroom website or blog. Materials may be shared directly with families and students through Google Classroom and any other password-protected means.
If you have questions or problems please contact me through Product Q & A and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!
Disclaimer: These resources and materials are for supplementary support/education purposes and not intended as a replacement for education, counseling, or other necessary supports. Educators, parents, counselors, and others who utilize these materials are encouraged to seek out additional support, as needed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -