A nonfiction book study focusing on vocabulary, fluency and comprehension Manfish by Jennifer Berne will give you a week’s worth of engaging activities. Because vocabulary knowledge is critical to reading comprehension, it is important that those working with young readers help foster their effective vocabulary learning strategies. This product provides effective explicit intentional, carefully planned instruction.
1. New or Known: Children determine if they are familiar with Manfish vocabulary by putting an “x” below the heading that best describes their understanding.
Following the instructions children define, locate or write sentences using each word.
2. Completion Activities: Student’s work to complete sentences using the newly introduced vocabulary. Following completion, teacher and students discuss sentences to further clarify meanings.
3. Yes or No Questions- Students demonstrate understanding of vocabulary with yes or no questions.
4. Cloze Procedure: Using the words at the top of the page, students complete every sentence.
5. Mix-up Game- Using vocabulary words on lanyards the children quickly gather in groups according to related words.
6. Vocabulary Conversation Game- With partners children practice using vocabulary words in sentences.
Two additional activities include a Reader’s Theater and Problem-Solution Cards with vocabulary from the story.