PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
A CRYPTOCATEGORY word puzzle is a category of items, such as Names, Places, or Setting, from MANIAC MAGEE. Below each category is a list of coded words from the book that fall under the category. For example, under the category of Names might be "Bow Wow." "N" stands for "B," "W" stands for "O," and "L" stands for "W," so NWL LWL would decode as BOW WOW. Some hints have been provided, and each category has its own code. NOTE: Teachers may want to provide more hints.
NOTE: Cryptocategories are specific to the book. Please see preview.
Elementary editions of Cryptocategories:
* Bridge to Terabithia
* The Cay
* Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Julie of the Wolves
* Maniac Magee
* Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Summer of the Monkeys
* Where the Red Fern Grows
CRYPTOCATEGORIES require students to use their knowledge of
MANIAC MAGEE and their knowledge of SPELLING, PHONICS, VOCABULARY, and LANGUAGE!
***Perfect filler activities for after tests, between lessons, or at the end of the day!***
Here are my unique products over MANIAC MAGEE. View them in my store!
• MANIAC MAGEE edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• MANIAC MAGEE Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 132 questions!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—50 words! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the MANIAC MAGEE edition of Bookmarks Plus and the MANIAC MAGEE Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 11 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes from the Novel! Students must use their knowledge of the story and their imaginations to decode 11 similies from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. A great way to introduce similes!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 2 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial and Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• MANIAC MAGEE: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Characters; Creatures; Landmarks; Foods; Communities/Townships; The Minor Leagues
• MANIAC MAGEE: 6 Fractured Maxim Word Puzzles Based on the Book! Students rearrange “tiles” to form quotations from the story. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• MANIAC MAGEE: Completing Characters’ Quotations Crossword! Students use their knowledge of the story as well as their spelling skills and reasoning skills to figure out what word goes in the blank!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Figurative Language Crossword—Creative! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to teach figurative language from a book that’s overflowing with it!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas! Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!