Using this 86-Page Reading Companion, students delve into Jerry Spinelli's "Maniac Magee", a wonderful book about a boy who cannot see the implication of labels. He doesn’t see why the community he comes to know and love is divided by race. He doesn’t understand the differences, and the superficial reasons why people dislike each other in the community.
Reading the high interest story, students investigate weighty matters. This book lends itself well to classroom discussion about plot lines, but also stimulates discussion about deeper issues in society such as racism. It's also ideal for delving into deeper reading comprehension, inferencing, vocabulary and dictionary work, and to metaphor and simile studies, using the colorful, creative language of Jerry Spinelli.
Included in this 86 Page Reading Activity Companion:
* 9 Pages of Teacher Discussion Questions
* 14 Pages of Student Reading Comprehension Sheets
* 17 Pages of Vocabulary Investigation Sheets
* 9 Pages of Metaphors and Similes Investigations with quotes from the book
￼* 2 Metaphor & Simile Student Activity Pages
* 5 Crossword Puzzles featuring Plotlines, Characters and Vocabulary from the Book
* 4 Matching Puzzles featuring People, Places and Events from the Story
* A Great Whole-Class Thought-Provoking Final Project About Labels to create a wonderful classroom display of commonality and difference
Delve into weighty issues and have stimulating discussions using this incredible book and this Reading Activity Companion!