NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from MANIAC MAGEE. Either as a homework assignment or by allowing students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and understanding the story. Examples of clues:
* Assent ANSWER: agreement
* Serendipity ANSWER: chance
* Splayed (2 words) ANSWER: spread out
* Anecdote ANSWER: story
* Jarring ANSWER: shocking
FYI: I have narrowed the list of 50 words to 25 and included them on my MANIAC MAGEE edition of Bookmarks Plus, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a synonym/antonym crossword over the 25 words. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over MANIAC MAGEE. View them in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: MANIAC MAGEE edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• MANIAC MAGEE Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 132 questions!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—50 words! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the MANIAC MAGEE edition of Bookmarks Plus and the MANIAC MAGEE Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 11 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes from the Novel! Students must use their knowledge of the story and their imaginations to decode 11 similies from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. A great way to introduce similes!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 2 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial and Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• MANIAC MAGEE: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Characters; Creatures; Landmarks; Foods; Communities/Townships; The Minor Leagues
• MANIAC MAGEE: 6 Fractured Maxim Word Puzzles Based on the Book! Students rearrange “tiles” to form quotations from the story. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• MANIAC MAGEE: Completing Characters’ Quotations Crossword! Students use their knowledge of the story as well as their spelling skills and reasoning skills to figure out what word goes in the blank!
• MANIAC MAGEE: Figurative Language Crossword—Creative! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to teach figurative language from a book that’s overflowing with it!
• MANIAC MAGEE: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas! Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!