In the 1840s, many Americans believed in Manifest Destiny, which was the religious belief that God wanted America to move to the West. The abundance of land, merchants wanting to sell to those moving West, economic troubles in the East, and other factors encouraged people to go to the West. The Oregon Trail stretched from Missouri to Oregon City and many people took wagons to the West through this route.
The California Gold Rush helped increase expansion west. Gold was discovered and it caused a frenzy as people tried to make it rich. The Forty Niners were a group of people trying to find gold in California in 1849. This increased the population of California to 100,000 people. This included people from Asia, South America, and Europe as well as Americans and made the area a diverse place.
The Mormons, a religious group, led by Brigham Young, moved west to avoid religious tension with other Americans and settled in modern day Utah. They followed the teachings of a man named Joseph Smith. This group helped to develop the area of Utah.
In 1820, Texas became an important area for Mexico. Mexico invited Americans to settle in Texas to bring stability in the area. Stephen Austin, an American, created San Felipe de Austin in Texas. Texas grew hostile as Americans had conflict with Mexico. Many Americans brought slaves to Texas, even though Mexico freed their slaves in 1829. Stephen Austin tried to seek greater control and was arrested. This led to rebels rising up against Mexico and started the Texas Revolution. In 1835, Austin returned and pursued war with Mexico.
US History Lesson Plans Include
1) Bell ringer / opening activity
2) PowerPoint presentation
3) Guided notes worksheet for PowerPoint presentation
4) Bonus worksheet (vocabulary, crosswords, word search, etc.)
5) Daily quiz / assessment - exit slip!
6) Content reading handout
7) Compatible with ALL textbooks
8) Answer keys for all worksheets, handouts, & assessments
9) Editable documents (word, PowerPoint, etc.)
10) PDF copies for easy viewing & printing
11) Aligned to national standards
12) Works with Unit or as a stand alone lesson
13) Other bonus materials (videos, extra worksheets, etc.)
Most of our plans include the contents of this list. Please see the photo above for actual contents.