A Complete Activity and Assessment Solution for Episode 1 of Mankind: The Story of All of Us
Mankind: The Story of All of Us is a History Channel series that uses engaging imagery, powerful special effects, and a lively script to convey the story of the human race in 12 concise yet comprehensive episodes. This Mankind: The Story of All of Us packet
covers Episode 1: "Inventors," providing you with both a worksheet *and* two separate tests on the key points covered in the episode.
Mankind Episode 1 Resources Included:
• 2-page fill-in worksheet with 29 problems
• 2-page multiple choice test with 22 questions
• A second 2-page multiple choice test with 22 additional questions
• Time-stamps included option of all of the above, in addition to a "no timestamps" version
• Answer keys for all resources
----All tests and worksheets present problems in "video order" so that teachers can use them as during-viewing activities if desired.----
TEACHING IDEAS FOR THESE MANKIND THE STORY OF ALL OF US WORKSHEETS AND TESTS
Using this video series in class opens up several useful possibilities. The history content in Mankind the Story of All of Us is so well-presented that is is easily understood by students.
This in turn means that an episode can actually be used as an introduction to a topic or a unit. On the other hand, each episode also makes for excellent reinforcement of prior learning. Therefore, some teachers may want to show this episode at the end of the relevant chapter or unit in their textbook.
ABOUT THIS TEACHING PACKET
I’ve kept this episode versatility in mind when making these materials. This teaching resource contains both a worksheet and two tests for Episode 1 of Mankind the Story of All of Us. These two components are based on different approaches to the video:
• The student viewing worksheet contains about 30 fill-in problems, all presented in video order. These problems use the same exact wording of the episode's script in order to facilitate close attention to detail. Many students will have good enough recall to be able to complete some items on the worksheet after the episode has been shown, but because of the detailed nature of the questions, teachers may want to use the worksheet as a “during-viewing” activity that will help students track information and stay on task.
• The two multiple choice tests included provide teachers with another approach to using the episode in class. There is a Version A and a Version B of the test, with no questions repeated from one version to the other. Some teachers might want to use one multiple choice test during viewing and reserve another for assessment afterwards, or use both simultaneously to encourage students to do their own work instead of "borrowing" answers from the students near them. Another option is to assign the multiple choice questions for homework.
• Answer keys are provided for all materials
DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION POSSIBILITIES
Some students respond better to fill-ins, while others take better advantage of multiple choice items. Teachers have all the materials they need at their fingertips with this Episode 1 packet.
TEACHER CONVENIENCE FEATURES
NO PREP -- just make the copies and you are good to go.
All materials are formatted to fit on one piece of paper printed back and front to minimize time at the copier. No stapling needed if two-sided copies are made!
Teachers with limited time for grading will find the multiple-choice super-fast to correct. Teachers who like to go over answers with the class will appreciate the full-context answer key provided for the fill-in worksheet!
LOOKING FOR MORE MANKIND THE STORY OF ALL OF US WORKSHEETS?
These might be just what you need:
Mankind the Story of All of Us Worksheet -- Episode 2: Iron Men
Mankind the Story of All of Us Worksheet -- Episode 5: Plague
Mankind the Story of All of Us Worksheet -- Episode 6: Survivors
LOOKING FOR OTHER HISTORY CHANNEL TEACHING MATERIALS?
If you also use the series America: The Story of US, then the worksheet and test packets listed below might prove useful additions to your program:
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 1: Rebels
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 2: Revolution
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 3: Westward!
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 4: Division
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 5: Civil War
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 6: Heartland
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 7: Cities
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 8: Boom
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 9: Bust
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 10: World War II
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 11: Rise of a Superpower
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 12: Millennium
Video Activities by Elise Parker