A Complete Activity and Assessment Solution for Episode 2 of Mankind: The Story of All of Us!
Mankind: The Story of All of Us is a History Channel series that uses engaging imagery, powerful special effects, and a lively script to convey the story of the human race in 12 concise yet comprehensive episodes. This Mankind: The Story of All of Us packet
covers Episode 2: "Iron Men," providing you with both a worksheet *and* two separate multiple choice activities on the key points covered in the episode.
Mankind Episode 2 Resources Included:
• 2-page fill-in worksheet with 37 problems
• Time-stamped variant of above worksheet
• 5-page multiple choice worksheet with 50 questions
• 1-page multiple choice quiz with 10 additional questions
• Answer keys for all resources
----All tests and worksheets present problems in "video order" so that teachers can use them as during-viewing activities if desired.----
DIFFERENTIATION AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
Multiple Choice Levels: The 50-question worksheet is highly detailed, while the 10-question quiz focuses only on the "big picture," or the basics of the episode, so one way to differentiate is to use the quiz as a basic level activity while the worksheet is reserved for students ready for a more advanced level.
Differentiating by Format: Another way to differentiate is to use the cloze worksheet (with or without time stamps) for an advanced level while either one of the multiple choice worksheets is presented as the simpler option, since it requires students to recognize the correct answer rather than generate it themselves.
Three Levels of Differentiation: Teachers can also assign some student to do the cloze worksheets (with or without time stamps), others the detailed multiple choice, and still others the basic multiple choice.
With this Mankind the Story of Us worksheet set, you really do get a lot of options!
TEACHING IDEAS FOR THESE MANKIND THE STORY OF ALL OF US WORKSHEETS AND TESTS
Using this video series in class opens up several useful possibilities. The history content in Mankind the Story of All of Us is so well-presented that is is easily understood by students.
This in turn means that an episode can actually be used as an introduction to a topic or a unit. On the other hand, each episode also makes for excellent reinforcement of prior learning. Therefore, some teachers may want to show this episode at the end of the relevant chapter or unit in their textbook.
ABOUT THIS TEACHING PACKET
• The student viewing worksheet contains 37 fill-in problems, all presented in video order. These problems use the same exact wording of the episode's script in order to facilitate close attention to detail. Many students will have good enough recall to be able to complete some items on the worksheet after the episode has been shown, but because of the detailed nature of the questions, teachers may want to use the worksheet as a “during-viewing” activity that will help students track information and stay on task.
• The multiple choice worksheet and quiz provide teachers with another approach to using the episode in class. The quiz contains only basic items that all students should have mastered from watching the video, while the worksheet is much more detailed. Some teachers may want to use the multiple choice worksheet during viewing and reserve the quiz for assessment afterwards, or use both simultaneously to differentiate learning levels within the class.
• Another option is to assign the multiple choice questions (either the worksheet or the quiz) for homework after students have used the cloze worksheet while viewing the episode.
• Answer keys are provided for all materials
TEACHER CONVENIENCE FEATURES
NO PREP -- just make the copies and you are good to go.
The cloze worksheet is formatted to fit on one piece of paper printed back and front to minimize time at the copier. No stapling needed if two-sided copies are made!
The quiz is even more streamlined -- it fits on a single side of a sheet of paper!
Teachers with limited time for grading will find the multiple-choice super-fast to correct. Teachers who like to go over answers with the class will appreciate the full-context answer key provided for the fill-in worksheet!
LOOKING FOR MORE MANKIND THE STORY OF ALL OF US WORKSHEETS?
These might be just what you need:
Mankind the Story of All of Us Worksheet -- Episode 1: Inventors
Mankind the Story of All of Us Worksheet -- Episode 5: Plague
Mankind the Story of All of Us Worksheet -- Episode 6: Survivors
LOOKING FOR OTHER HISTORY CHANNEL TEACHING MATERIALS?
If you also use the series America: The Story of US, then the worksheet and test packets listed below might prove useful additions to your program:
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 1: Rebels
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 2: Revolution
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 3: Westward!
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 4: Division
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 5: Civil War
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 6: Heartland
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 7: Cities
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 8: Boom
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 9: Bust
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 10: World War II
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 11: Rise of a Superpower
America: The Story of US Worksheet -- Episode 12: Millennium
Video Activities by Elise Parker