Also included in
- This Social-Emotional Learning Children's Book Companion Bundle includes 40 book companions on popular children’s books that relate to emotions, self-regulation, growth mindset, respect and manners, friendship, self-esteem and self-love, kindness, and empathy. ⭐Get ready to revolutionize your read a$64.00$120.00Save $56.00
Do your students need help showing respect or using good manners? This resource includes 5 book companions filled with engaging lessons and activities on popular children’s books that relate to respect, manners, listening, honesty, and tattling (Do Unto Otters, Respect & Take Care of Things, Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker, Ruthie & The Not So Teeny Tiny Lie, and Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal).
Children will participate in classroom discussions and book chats, share their thoughts in written form, and participate in fun, engaging activities that encourage respect and manners, emotional awareness, and social skills.
Each book companion includes a detailed lesson plan, guided questions, anchor chart, concept posters, writing responses, and follow-up activities (printable and digital included). Great for distance learning or in-class teaching of social-emotional skills!
♥♥Love these and want books and activities for the whole year? The mind+heart Social Emotional Learning Book Companion BUNDLE is available for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. Get your entire year’s worth of popular SEL children's book (40 included) lessons and activities to revolutionize your read-aloud time TODAY! ♥♥
1. Do Unto Otters by Laurie Keller
This lesson is about respect and how to treat others using positive character traits. Children will learn the meaning of respect, identify what good manners are, and practice treating others the way they want to be treated.
2. Respect and Take Care of Things by Cheri J. Meiners
The lesson is about respect and how they show respect by taking care of things. Children will identify and practice showing respect by taking care of things at school, at home, and in the community.
3. Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker by Christianne Jones
This lesson teaches us about using good listening skills. Children will learn when it is important to listen, rather than talk. They will learn how to be a good listener and practice whole body listening.
4. Ruthie and the (Not So) Teeny Tiny Lie by Laura Rankin
This lesson teaches kids about telling the truth and showing honesty, and what happens when we lie. They will practice telling the truth and making honest choices.
5. Don’t Squeal Unless It’s a Big Deal by Jeanie Franz Ransom
The lesson is about tattle tailing. Children will learn about tattling (a kid-sized problem) and when it’s a good time to tell an adult (a big deal). They will understand the difference between tattling and reporting.
Included in this jam-packed SEL Respect & Manners book companion pack:
- Lessons and activities that focus on 5 Children’s books related to respect, manners, tattling, honesty, and good listening.
- Each book companion comes with a detailed lesson plan, book chat cards to guide a discussion, anchor chart, and writing response
- 4 follow-up activities are included for every book (many in digital format)
- Book companion guide with safe links for easy viewing
- Google Slides ready for use in Google Classroom
- Images for use in Seesaw
- Interactive PowerPoint file of the digital templates for use in your preferred platform
**Check out the detailed PREVIEW for a thorough look into what this resource includes!**
There is a detailed lesson plan for each book with “Book Chat” cards and questions to guide your discussion before, during, and after reading. An interactive anchor chart and writing activity are included that focus on the social-emotional skill presented in the book and encourage children to express their thinking. This is an excellent way to incorporate social-emotional learning into your ELA block each week!
Each book comes with 4 follow-up activities to build upon the book’s social-emotional lesson. A fun variety of activities are included for independent, partner, and small group use. These high-interest activities are a great way to extend the book’s discussion and build the social-emotional skills kids need!
Book companions come with a digital anchor chart or interactive poster slides, writing template, and additional digital activities. These are ready in Google Slides™ for use in Google Classroom™. You will be provided with instructions on how to access and a link to create a copy. The digital pages are great for use during remote teaching, distance learning, and in a one-to-one classroom!
Why You Need This Book Companion Resource:
♥ The children’s books in this book companion resource have been carefully chosen as they cover the most important topics that we often do not have time to teach (SEL ones).
♥ It provides an opportunity to have meaningful discussions and use impactful activities that build important social and emotional skills a child needs. Children need to build their social and emotional skills and these lessons and activities will guide them there!
♥ Since you are using literature to teach, you are covering important English Language Arts standards and building children’s literacy skills.
♥ It provides a TON of variety for each book, keeping things fresh and engaging for kids!
♥ As it includes printable and digital activities, this resource is great for use during distance learning, homeschooling, and in one-to-one classrooms.
Suggestions on How to Use:
- Each lesson starts with a book chat that continues during and after reading a book. There are questions included to guide your discussion.
- There is an anchor chart idea provided to enhance the book’s lesson.
- A follow-up writing activity can be used to extend the discussion.
- There are 4 activities for each children’s book. Some include digital options.
- I suggest reading 1 book per week and doing the lesson. Use the extra activities to reinforce the topic covered in the story throughout the week.
- Differentiated templates included. Please choose what fits best with your students’ abilities and needs.
- The lessons and activities work great for after morning meetings or end of the day lessons, school counselors and classroom teachers, and children in K-2.
Don’t own a copy of a book? No problem! Safe links to video recordings of books being read aloud are included, as well as a book list of more books to use during your lessons.
Try the SEL program that is needed in ALL classrooms!
Check out the other SEL units for K-2:
Looking for more DIGITAL Social-Emotional Learning lessons and activities? Check out the DIGITAL mind+heart curriculum available for K-2.
Stay connected with Proud to be Primary
♥Click HERE to follow our store and receive notifications of new product releases, sales, and freebies.
♥Join our email list and get weekly teacher tip emails and access to our FREE resource library.
♥Visit our website at Proud to be Primary for tons of engaging ideas for teaching kids in the classroom!
♥Join our Facebook group and connect with thousands PROUD primary teachers like yourself.
Questions, suggestions, and feedback are always welcome.
Just use the “Product Q&A” tab and I will get back to you as fast as I can!
Please ask all questions before purchasing or email me at email@example.com.
©2013 to Present - Proud to be Primary - Elyse Rycroft