Apply map skills learned in class to create a country using your foot (or hand!) as the base land mass.
- Cooperative and individual tasks
- Culminating map project includes basic geography features, a written component combining creative narrative with expository, practice with coordinates
- Model for written piece included
- Self-assessment and peer assessment
- Extended activity is great for a longer block of time
Lots of student choice and creative expression coupled with academic and social skills.
*Step-by-step student directions.
*Cooperative Planning Page
*Coordinate Report Sheet
*Evaluation Rubric that covers four criteria with five levels of mastery
* Teacher's pages detail prerequisite skills, materials needed (grid paper / crayons or colored pencils) and suggested, and three levels of scaffolding and differentiation suggestions.
*Student self-assessment for process and product
*Simple compassionate peer review
*Model for Narrative/Expository Writing component
Depending on the needs of your students, this will take about 90 minutes. Great for block scheduling!
This activity best used after your students have had an introduction to and some practice with maps and parts of a map, including latitude and longitude.