Put a twist on your mapping unit by integrating literature and social studies with this pack. Students will love learning about map skills as they read "The Little Red Hen." This unit will deepen students' understanding of the story, "The Little Red Hen" while at the same time teaching them about mapping skills.
During this lesson the students will:
- Read and reread your story book of "The Little Red Hen" (story not included)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others
- Sequence and write about the main events from the text (graphic organizer provided)
- Draw a map of Little Red Hen's farm (sheet provided)
- Discuss how the setting changed (graphic organizer provided)
- Read an informational text, "All About Maps" (text provided)
- Answer text dependent questions from the "All About Maps" text (questions provided)
- Create a mnemonic for cardinal directions- N,S,E,W (sheet provided)
- Create a map key for Little Red Hen's farm (sheet provided)
- Synthesize their deeper understanding of "The Little Red Hen" and their new mapping skills by creating a final map (sheet provided)
- Assess the quality of their final product (checklist provided)
- Step by Step Lesson Plans
- Printable Informational Book, "All About Maps"
- Text Dependent Questions for "Little Red Hen" and "All About Maps"
- Turn and Talk Anchor Chart
- Main Events Sequencing Graphic Organizer
- Little Red Hen's Setting Sheet
- Cardinal Directions Mnemonic Activity Sheet
- Changing Setting Graphic Organizer
- Make a Map-Key Sheet
- Final Product Mapping Sheet
- Map Self Assessment Checklist
*does not include "The Little Red Hen" book
Do you want to see this lesson in action?
Click here to see our Little Red Hen blog post
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog