Do you need exciting and engaging social studies materials to teach map skills, communities, and continents? This unit has over 80 pages of activities, reading informational text passages, and interactive notebook options that your students can do! It covers the main standards of locating on places on maps and globes their local community and the USA, the seven continents, and the four oceans. They also practice constructing/reading a simple map, using cardinal directions and map symbols.
Lastly, they'll compare and contrast basic land use in urban, suburban, and rural environments.
This map skills, continents, and communities social studies unit contains:
1) academic vocabulary cards with pictures and definitions
2) big idea questions (discussion starters)
3) activities to help your students locate places on a map
4) urban, suburban, and rural community activities
5) urban, suburban, and rural flip book
6) urban, suburban, and rural picture posters
7) urban or rural sort
8) 7 continents activities and chant (song)
9) Compass Rose activity
10) map skills and communities ABC order
11) inquiry activity and example
12) landforms identification activity and flip books
13) "me on the map" inspired flip book activity
14) compare and contrast communities
15) creative writing task cards
16) vocabulary matching activity
17) cut and paste word making
18) themed writing paper
19) maps wordsearch
20) informational text passages and quizzes
21) communities and landform flip books
22) interactive notebook pages
23) vocabulary matching practice
24) "my community" activities
And MUCH more! See preview for more details! Looking for a DIGITAL and PAPERLESS version of this map skills unit? Check it out here -----> Digital Maps and Communities Unit
Thank you and please leave me some feedback! :)
Connect with me!
Click the star at the top of this page to be notified when I post new teaching resources!
Like my FACEBOOK
Pin with me on PINTEREST
Follow me on INSTAGRAM
Head to my WEBSITE
for tips and freebies!