Emerging readers and writers will have so much fun learning all about maps with a garden theme! These motivating activities are aligned with Common Core Standards and differentiated for student abilities.
Students will work with an original book, called "Lunchtime in the Garden," with blackline masters for individual student books! They will learn how to read and make maps, including using a Compass Rose and Map Key. But I've also included blank games so they can be customized to teach the skills of your choice and better meet the needs of your students.
This exciting packet contains:
1. Lots of ideas for introducing and practicing map skills, including two games
2. A poster/anchor chart for students to make
3. Four original songs: 2 map songs and 2 garden songs
4. An original full-color book called "Lunchtime in the Garden"
6. A blackline master for small individual student books
7. A comprehension test on "Lunchtime in the Garden"
8. Vocabulary words to display
9. A Build-A-Sentence game
10. A What's for Lunch word game (blank game is included)
11. A map reading worksheet to check for understanding
12. A Read-and-Draw comprehension activity
15. Writing Connection ideas
17. Math games including ones on measurement, double-digit adding and subtracting, shapes and fractions, and telling time
18. Social Studies Connection ideas including a map reading game
19. Ideas for Science Connections
Many of these activities would be great at a Literacy or Math Center!
Enjoy! Sheila Wheaton