UPDATED! Harness your students' competitive side with this engaging activity that has your students study poetry and poetic devices in a format that coincides with the March Madness college basketball tournament. This resource has everything you need to set up a bulletin board with brackets to track the winners of the head-to-head competitions as you narrow down the Top 16 to the final winner. A full digital version is included for virtual learners. *Updated with a FULLY EDITABLE & DIGITAL version so you can swap out any poems or songs you'd like!
This No-Prep Resource Includes:
- Detailed Notes and Step-By-Step Directions for you to help with the planning
- Colorful BRACKETS for your bulletin board to track the competition from the Top 16 down to the sole winner
- Colorful SIGNS for your bulletin board
- 8 POEMS matched up in a head-to-head competition with a wide variety of poets such as Edgar Allan Poe, Langston Hughes, and Maya Angelou to name a few
- 8 SONGS matched up in a head-to-head competition with a wide variety of artists such as Marvin Gaye, Garth Brooks, and Gym Class Heroes to name a few
- 3-point RUBRIC for the students to score the poems and songs on theme, mood, and poetic devices
- All poems and songs offered in a DIGITAL paperless version so you can share them electronically through the Google Classroom
- 13 Google Forms so your students can import their scores electronically
- DIGITAL Bracket to type and project on your white board or post in your Google Classroom.
- *UPDATED: FULLY EDITABLE & Digital version so you can swap out any poems or songs with those of your choosing. The Google Forms are easy for you to change to match your selections.
- FULLY EDITABLE Printable Brackets for you to fill in with the songs and poems you chose, print, and create your bulletin board.
- FULLY EDITABLE Blank Digital Brackets for you to use if you chose to select your own poems or songs.
For more poetry activities, this resource is perfect in helping your students gain an appreciation of the life and poetry of Langston Hughes. This collection of three poems about DREAMS will introduce your students to the life of Langston Hughes, his poetry, and a creative writing activity that will have them making their own metaphors.
For another author's study, try my 6 day unit on Robert Frost: (also in a bundle incorporating the movie Dead Poets Society and the poem "O Captain! My Captain!" by Walt Whitman).
For more on Figurative Language, try my high-interest activity on Metaphors (also included in a bundle):
FOLLOW ME and I will notify you when new products are uploaded. New products will be 50% off for the first 24 hours they are posted. I appreciate my followers and they deserve to be rewarded!
As always, please contact me with any questions, or if you are looking for a particular product.
Thank you kindly,