In our classroom, we feature a “Poem of the Week’. We introduce and read the poem on Monday, and then use it to teach a variety of skills during the course of the week. The following week, the poem and activities are placed in the poetry literacy center. Since the students are familiar with the poem and activities, they are able to successfully complete the center work independently. At the end of the second week, a copy of the poem is added to each student’s poetry notebook.
I wrote the March Winds poem and then brainstormed activities that the kiddos could do with it. It ended up a being a menu of items that you can assign according to your students’ abilities and needs. The packet includes
• Cover sheet
• Copy of poem (use for projecting and/or to copy for student poetry notebook)
• Mixed-up Poem (students cut lines apart and glue on separate sheet)
• Answer Key for mixed up poem
• Words for sorting (sheet of 15 words for open/closed sorting activities)
• Poem Cloze (Words omitted for students to fill in –pencil or cut-and- paste)
• Word strips for cloze (for cut-and-paste, or manipulate and check)
• Winter/Spring Sorting Mat
• 6 winter pictures and 6 spring pictures for sorting
• 9 Activity Cards – address the activities listed above so that students can choose or you can assign as appropriate
• Student Word Sorting Recording Sheet for above activities if you want to document student work
• Writing Activity with directions, planning sheet, and publishing paper
• Blank activity cards for your own ideas
A wide range of skill-based activities are included, including two sounds of “ow”, identifying words of 2 syllables, rhyming words, alphabetical order, sequencing, beginning paragraphs and simple essay, reading fluency through rereading, and notes for the teacher about the 2 homographs in the poem.
Once you decide how you will use the packet, you can determine which pages to copy/cut/laminate. . .
Graphics by ScrappinDoodles and KindergartenWorks
March Winds Poem
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License