This file includes activities, mentor sentences, and a quiz for the short story "Marigolds." These activities will assess comprehension, give students writing practice, and encourage analytical thinking.
→A complete lesson plan - includes standards, discussion notes, pre-reading and post-reading topics, as well as literary devices to highlight during the story discussions.
→ A writing assignment - gives students five topics. They must narrow those topics down to a specific topic, and then write a topic sentence. Ask students to write an objective summary to check comprehension. Possible sentences included.
→ Mentor sentences - fifteen mentor sentences for identifying gerunds, infinitives, and participles. Suggestions for use included.
→ Figurative language task card activity - 28 task cards with quotes from the short story that are examples of common literary terms, such as theme, characterization, simile, metaphor, etc. Students are asked to identify the literary term and draw conclusions.
→ Quiz - check for comprehension with this ten multiple-choice questions quiz.
I usually spend about three days teaching "Marigolds." My lesson plan includes ideas for differentiating, as well as extension activities. None of the activities depend upon each other - use one or more pieces easily.
These activities and lesson plans for "Marigolds" are both in editable and not-editable formats. Answer key included for all.
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs: Mentor Sentences, Quiz, and Writing Activities
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Questions, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Writing, Graphic Organizer