Everyone loves pizza, especially our students. Mario’s Pizza Parlor is a fun, challenging activity that teaches listening and reading comprehension skills. Your students will be engaged and motivated as they choose the right pizzas for each customer.
1. Print off multiple copies of the menu and cards on card-stock. Cut cards apart and laminate. Laminate copies of the menu. Each student should have1 copy of the menu.
2. Print multiple copies of the Mario’s Pizza Parlor Order Form. The first order form only requires students to circle the correct answer and is an easier activity. The second order form requires students to write out the order. This is a more difficult task. Choose the order form which is most appropriate for your students.
3. Each student should have a menu and a copy of an order form.
4. A card is drawn and the pizza order is read. The card can be read aloud as a listening comprehension task. It can also be read by the individual student(s) as a reading comprehension task. Students then complete an order form that corresponds with the information on the card. Students can work individually or in groups.
5. When the students have completed the order form, an answer sheet is provided to check the answers. More than 1 answer may be acceptable. For example, students may choose the pizzas listed or they may choose the build-your-own pizza option and list the individual ingredients.
6. Check to make sure that students have included all of the information including size, type of crust, dine in, carry out, or delivery. If a delivery address is given, students should include that information as well.
7. The Create Your Own Pizza Order allows students to write their own pizza orders. Make a copy of the page. Two forms are provided. Using the menu, students can write their own pizza orders
This versatile product will meet many therapy goals. Students need to reason, problem-solve, infer and use comprehension skills to complete the activity. The 24 cards and multiple answers allow for this product to be used many times.