NEW IN 2020: Rigorous! Thought-provoking! Discussion-based! This 60-page bundle ensures that every single lesson will be profoundly stimulating! Invite your students to participate in student-driven discussions without compromising on intellectual rigor. The daily quizzes, discussion prompts, and writing assignments will challenge your students to dig beneath the surface of the text and generate profound interpretive insights!
Hold your students accountable for completing the nightly homework by beginning every class with a quick vocabulary and reading quiz. Facilitate dynamic discussions that motivate students to become attached to the thrill generating shared knowledge. Challenge students to explicate textual details using a wide range of interpretive lenses: formalist, historicist, psychoanalytic, feminist, etc. Inspire students to arrive at a whole new depth of insight!!
Everything you’ll need to teach the novel is included in this bundle:
• Unit & Pacing Guide
• Discussion Questions: Eighteen pages of deeply thought-provoking discussion questions! One 2-page handout containing 6-10 questions for each of 9 chapters. The discussion questions are the indispensible beating heart of these lesson plans. Every discussion question is grounded in concrete textual details and challenges students to arrive at lucid interpretive insights! The questions could be used to focus students’ thinking prior to beginning a discussion, to foster in-class quick writes, or to assign written reflections for homework. Guaranteed to elicit student engagement and foster profound discussions! (18 pages)
• Image Analysis: Two-page handout challenging students to analyze how the visual aesthetic of various panels contributes to the book's meaning. (2 pages)
• Quotation Race: Students work in pairs to identify the speakers of 25 quotations. One handout features 15 memorable quotes from the main characters. A second handout features 10 challenging quotations from secondary characters. Introduce this fun activity when you need to mix things up. Includes answer key. (4 pages)
• Vocabulary Lists: Lists of 10-12 vocabulary words for group of chapters, complete with a definition and a sample sentence with the word as used in Persepolis. A total of over 100 words. (9 pages)
• Vocabulary & Reading Quizzes: Daily quizzes with 10 questions each. Each quiz contains 7 questions on vocabulary words plus another 3 questions on reading comprehension. Grading these quizzes is simple and quick — an easy way to log 9 grades into your gradebook. Answer key included. (9 pages) (18 pages)
• Analytical Writing Assignment: Challenge students to take their interpretations one step further by writing an analytical paper on Fitzgerald’s wonderfully complex novel. Let students choose from one of five profoundly thought-provoking sample topics — or invite them to develop a similar topic of their own. (2 pages)
• Writing Schedule: Iinstructions for each stage of the writing process. (1 page)
My store is called “Rigorous Resources” because all of the materials prioritize rigorous content over decorative graphics. While there are plenty of sellers whose lessons feature beautiful design elements, my resources promise to foster dynamic discussions that yield an abundance of interpretive insights.
The graphic novel is an aesthetically innovative genre in which meaning is created through the interplay of image and text. How do we read a novel in which two narrative channels — one verbal, the other visual — interact? And how do graphic novels challenge readers to expand the set of interpretive techniques that make up “close reading”? This bundle will help students understand complex questions about literary genres, aesthetic form, coming-of-age novels, cross-cultural encounters, and the social and political history of Iran! The previews for my resources provide direct access to several pages of exemplary materials. Click on the green “PREVIEW” button to see what you’ll get. . . .
These materials will come to you in a single 60-page PDF. Should you wish to edit the materials, just email me after purchasing and I'll send you everything in an editable Word document.
Thank you for choosing “Rigorous Resources”!
Adam Jernigan, Ph.D.