Give students a real-life taste of our economy! They will learn all about supply and demand, profits, cost of starting a business, etc. in this fun learning experience!
Each student will create a product at home to sell to their fellow peers at a "Buy and Sell Day" (also called "Market Day"). I use these guidelines, but you can tweak it:
- Students may spend up to $10 on materials for their product
- They create 15-20 of their item to sell at market day
- The Market Day lasts for 2-3 hours, as other classes in the school come in incremental times to shop. We tell the other students they may bring up to $5.00 to shop with.
- Prior to Market Day, students create a "commercial" to advertise their product. I have them present these to the students who will be buying so the buyers know what will be available and can start thinking about what they want.
This 3-page document includes the following:
- A letter to students and parents explaining the project
- A paper for the students to fill out that lists materials for their product, cost of making it, profit at the end, etc.
- Invitations to hand out to the other classes who will be coming to shop so they and their parents will know what to do
I have done this for several years now, and it is always one of the highlights for the kiddos.