Also included in
- GROWING bundle for Digital STEM challenges for Middle School! Perfect to support distance learning, in-person, and hybrid classrooms using the engineering design challenges and looking for hands-on activities. Activities include printed and digital handouts to use in any classroom setting - whether$107.92$134.90Save $26.98
- Space STEM Starter Challenges MEGA Bundle: Upper Elementary & Middle SchoolLaunch your students into STEM with these space-themed STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process. This mega bundle includes engaging STEM activities for space activities and design challenges all yea$154.52$193.15Save $38.63
Mars Rover STEM Activity: Engineering Design Challenge with Math Extension
Includes an editable digital STEM journal and instructional video for distance learning.
NASA needs your help! Your mission is to use the engineering design process to design and build a rover to transport rock samples on the Moon or Mars (both versions included).
This hands-on activity is an engaging design challenge that allows students to work in teams (or individually), apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications.
Engineering Challenge: Students will use a vibrating motor and coin cell battery to power a mini rover. The students will need to design and build a rover to transport a ping pong ball using materials such as paper cups, construction paper, tape, and index cards.
Real-world STEM Connection: The product includes an instructional video that guides students through the design challenge. The video includes an interview with a robotics engineer and discusses current NASA rovers.
As with many STEM activities, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Photos of student examples
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Instructional video led by an engineer with an interview of a robotics engineer
- Editable Google Slides STEM journal for distance learning
- STEM Career Connection on Robotics Engineer & Electrical Engineer
- STEM Real-World Connection on NASA VIPER rover
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including rates and speed
- Clear tape
- Bendy Straws
- Index cards or cardstock
- Optional for younger students: paper cup
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥