Two for One! That’s right - this is a two for one offer on the life of Martin Luther King Jr. - so your school can celebrate his life and Black History Month. I’ve created two complementary slideshows on this civil rights leader - one for primary grades and one for middle and junior high students. The primary slide show has 15 slides, which give basic facts that are supported with a 4-page script with more details appropriate for the grade level of younger students. The more in-depth slide show has 31 slides and is backed up with detailed facts in a 12-page script. Teachers are free to tailor either slide show to their class’s maturity level by editing which facts to include. Some of the events commemorated in these shows are
• his boyhood and the racial climate of the South
• his education and conversion to the life of a Baptist minister
• his involvement in the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the Birmingham and Selma marches, and the march on Washington which saw him giving his “I have a dream” speech
• his marriage and family life
• the honors he was accorded including his Nobel Peace Prize
• his assassination, the resulting race riots, and his funeral
• the memorials to his life including the King Center for Nonviolent Change and the MLK Memorial in Washington D.C.
Buy this unit and share the slideshows with a colleague who teaches a different grade level at your school. The shows are available in both Apple’s Keynote and Microsoft’s Power Point, while the scripts are available as PDF’s.