Google Classroom & Printable Options - Martin Luther King Jr. Unit has been integrated with literacy skills of the ELA CCSS. This unit includes the following skills:
• Close reading with annotation codes with a rubric
• Use evidence from text to support assignment
• Opinion Writing
Learn all about Martin Luther King Jr. in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the month of January.
Check out our other Martin Luther King Jr. Products:
Check out our Digital Product for DISTANCE LEARNING:
Check out our Digital & Printable Products for January:
Purpose of Unit
We created this unit because teachers want to teach Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the upper elementary but time is so limited. With this unit teachers can meet the demands of CCSS and have fun with teaching about this holiday and facts about the MLK and the Civil Rights Movement. A lot of MLK’s Day material is geared towards the younger grades with crafts, but this is full of rigor and higher-order thinking skills that the teacher will not feel like he/she has lost any valuable teaching time. This mini-unit integrates literacy skills with social studies. It can be used for at least 5 days of instruction and has lesson plans ready to go!
There are 6 different lessons that have the following included in this mini-unit:
• Enduring Understandings
• Essential Questions
• Skills/Learning Goals
• Formative Assessments
• YouTube links for songs that teach on MLK
Printouts included in the unit:
2 non-fiction passages:
- Early Influences of Martin Luther King Jr.
- The Achievements and Leadership of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Annotation codes and rubric
- Anticipation guide
- 3-2-1 Reading Strategy printout
- QUAD Reading Strategy printout
- 2 Ring Venn Diagram graphic organizer
- Timeline with arts integration
- Prewriting graphic organizer for opinion writing
- Themed journal paper to write essay on
- Opinion Writing Rubric