This unit is perfect for Black History Month! It is also a great unit to use during the month of January, so students will have a better understanding of we celebrate this great leader. Students will analyze what character traits made him such a strong leader and students will then write an opinion essay, with guidance, about Dr. King.
This unit includes:
- Suggested Lesson Guide broken down into 2 parts
- What I Know about MLK, Jr. Graphic Organizer
- Character Trait Vocabulary Warm-up Group Activity (Trait/ Example/ Explanation)
- Character Traits of a Great Leader Graphic Organizer
- Information Text about MLK, Jr.
- Annotation Guide with Questions
- MLK, Jr. Partner Brainstorming
- MLK, Jr. Character Trait & Example Graphic Organizer
- Agree or Disagree Opinion Springboard to help get students thinking about writing an opinion statement
- Guided Think About It! Questions- partner work
- Writing a Declaration Statement Lesson & Graphic Organizer
- Opinion Writing Graphic Organizer
- Check-It Task List to help students analyze their rough draft
- Rough Draft Paper
- Final Copy Writing Paper for a cute Display
- Grading Rubric
- Easy prep mini book for students to do a little Martin Luther King, Jr. research!
Students will not only learn about Martin Luther King, Jr. during this unit but will learn how to write an opinion essay!