Also included in
- This bundle was made per request. If you'd like your own custom bundle, please download my PRIMARY FREEBIE to fill out a Google Form.© Copyright 2020 M. Mariano. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or lic$311.16$388.95Save $77.79
- This bundle was made per request. If you'd like your own custom bundle, please download my PRIMARY FREEBIE to fill out a Google Form. © Copyright 2020 M. Mariano. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or li$74.64$93.30Save $18.66
This group DIGITAL activity is great to use for Martin Luther King Jr. Day or Black History Month and can be used in English Language Arts and/or Social Studies classrooms. Students work in groups to create an eBook (using Google Slides) set up like an informational non-fiction book one would find in book stores or libraries.
This product includes detailed planning pages for groups to work on together and a blank digital template for their books. Prior to doing this project, it's a good idea to have the students browse informational books to see how they're laid out.
- First, students research MLK and his life using links provided (that can be changed). They focus on finding mini-stories, statistics, quotes, text features, and more.
- Next, they determine what their "sections / chapters" should be in their books. Each student becomes responsible for a section. Within this, they must determine a text structure or two (cause/effect, problem/solution, chronological, compare/contrast, description) to use for their sections. This means they will be writing their chapters with text structure in mind using provided key words.
- Students are then provided with detailed lists of requirements, GIF directions with tech tips, and a rubric.
- Lastly, they are provided a blank template to create their books together. They must use the tools within the slides and Google to create charts, diagrams, images, etc.
This goes very well with any non-fiction unit you may be doing! Or, if you are teaching Social Studies, you can align this with your ELA teachers!
Depending on your students' abilities and time, it's difficult to put a timeframe on this. This could take about a week, but could take as little as two days (research/prep one day, book creation another). You may opt to have them do some work at home, too.
It's a very valuable experience creating a book; instead of locating non-fiction components, they make them!
My Research Digital Notebooks (Tapping the Power of Non-fiction, Essay, Group Book) product is an entire unit that culminates in a similar activity.
***You should have a basic knowledge of Google Classroom and Slides for this product. This works best on computers.***
© Copyright 2019 M. Mariano. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. This is intended to be used by one teacher unless additional licenses have been purchased. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited.
*** HERE'S WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME! ***