Our Print and Teach Read Aloud is a great way to foster a love for reading, while teaching the Common Core Standards in Reading Informational Text for Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grade students.
Educators in many different settings can easily print and teach this lesson. Classroom teachers, substitute teachers, literacy assistants teaching small groups, after school programs, gifted programs, and home school educators can use this engaging, fun product.
Our second story is my brother MARTIN: Martin’s sister, tells of some of the events she remembers while growing up with her younger brother. She talks about how close her siblings were while they were growing up on Auburn Street in Atlanta Georgia. They played with all the neighborhood children. One day they were awakened to the reality of the cruelty of segregation. Martin says to his mom: “One day I’m going to turn the world upside down”. Martin learned a lot of lessons about how to stand up for what he believed in from his father.
Each Print and Teach Read Aloud comes with Before, During, and After reading activities.
This product includes:
1. List of 10: Have students individually or in pairs brainstorm what they know about Martin Luther King Jr. Think about special things about him and what he accomplished.
1. Sequencing: The author of a biography often presents information in sequence or in the order the events happened in the person’s life. Signal words such as one day, looking back, and years would pass are clues to help you understand the sequence of events.
2. Story Soup: Students write the title of the story in the boxes going down the paper. As they listen to the story, they write a one sentence summary of the event in the story that begins with that letter.
3. Pictures and Words: Discuss the illustrations as you read and explain how specific aspects of a text's illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., create mood, emphasize aspects of a character or setting).
2. Childhood Comparisons
3. Art: Act of Kindness
4. Learn about the Author and the Illustrator
5. Other Related Books
Items needed to use this product is the book my brother MARTIN by Christine King Farris
Our next Print and Teach read aloud is The Man Who Walked Between The Tower
Please check out these other products in our store:
Who was Martin Luther King?
Who was Harriet Tubman?
What was Pearl Harbor?
Who was Walt Disney?