Challenge your students to think more deeply about the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. In this set of English Language Arts activities, students read a three-page chronology of Dr. King’s life, create a related timeline, explore causes and effects, and interpret some of his most famous quotes.
• Reading About Dr. King - A three-page text chronicles the life of Martin Luther King, Junior, from 1929 to 1968.
• Timeline of Dr. King’s Life – Three options are available: (1) fill-in-the-blank, (2) cut and paste, or (3) create a double timeline of Dr. King’s life and related events in American history. The third option acts as a springboard for discussion of how history impacted King’s life and how King’s life altered the course of history.
• Causes and Effects - Students match events in King’s life with their effects.
• Messages from Dr. Martin Luther King, Junior - Two options are included: (1) read and interpret Dr. King’s quotes independently or (2) discuss one quote in a group and report back to the class.
• Happy Birthday, Dr. King! Poster - Use this in your classroom or school to celebrate the Birthday of Martin Luther King, Junior.
• Happy Birthday, Dr. King! Birthday Card - Students can write their own messages inside this foldable card.
• Martin Luther King, Junior, Stationery - Do you have an idea for a writing activity in your classroom? Give student products a polished look with this themed stationery.
Click on the PREVIEW button to get a better look at the activities included.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
The photo used in this product was taken by Dick DeMarsico, World Telegram staff photographer, in 1964. It is now a part of the New York World-Telegrams & Sun Collection in the Library of Congress and is in the public domain.