Mary had a little…zoo? Yes, a little zoo! With a snake, a lion, a tiger, an elephant, a giraffe, a monkey, a parrot, and of course, a lamb. “Mary Had a Little Zoo,” an engaging ActivInspire flipchart, is a story about Mary and all of the mixed-up then fixed-up animals who follow her. The “little lamb with fleece as white as snow” has black wool, a tiger with no stripes, and an elephant with small ears are a few of the mixed-up animals that your students will fix with a simple click. Fringe vocabulary is introduced including the names of the animals and their distinctive characteristics; the core word vocabulary focus includes: not, good, now.
First, “Mary has a (descriptor + specific animal)” is read and a sound effect is heard. Next, the animal is described (i.e. the elephant has big ears) but the picture shows an elephant with small ears. Your students will read the script (i.e. “Uh-oh! They are NOT big.”) and click the animal to make it appear accurately (i.e. elephant with big ears). Then your students click on the animal to hear the sound they make. After all of the animals are made to look correct, they follow Mary. What does Mary decide to do? Have your children problem-solve before you reveal that she put them in a zoo.
A follow-up activity has your students match animal sound effects to the correct animals. Multiple opportunities in the story have already introduced the sounds to your students. This story is perfect for children with cognitive delays, autism, developmental delays and speech-language delays because it focuses on core words and provides visuals and twenty-three interactive pages. Realistic illustrations and visual sentence strips throughout the story aid in comprehension of the text. After the story, your students answer the question, “Did you like ‘Mary Had a Little Zoo?’” They decide by clicking and dragging a happy face or sad face to the corresponding column. This flipchart can be used for small group instruction at the computer and in whole-group settings using an interactive whiteboard. Students take turns reading and activating the interactive features.
This flipchart lesson includes:
• "I can" statements (ex. “I can: use/understand animal names,” “use/understand core words: not, good, now,” and “identify animals by their sounds.”)
• notes browser (yellow note icon) explains features for interactive pages
• simple, interactive Table of Contents/lesson schedule
• an interactive, visual dictionary which demonstrates the meanings of the core words
• interactive features on 23 pages to keep them engaged.
• interactive story that demonstrates the meaning of new vocabulary and sentences.
• visual sentence strips to aid in reading comprehension
• sound effects for each animal
• an interactive survey (“Did you like the story?”)
• lesson closure page
Please come back to our store as we continue to add more flipchart activities!
**Must have ActivInspire software.**
***The FREE personal edition of ActivInspire can be downloaded from Promethean World***