Poe's creepy classic is an excellent choice for teaching symbolism, allegory and imagery. Grab your students' attention from the start with this 22-page, fully editable PowerPoint that includes:
• Thought–provoking pre-reading journal prompts
• Literary terms, definitions and pre-reading activities (for symbolism, allegory and imagery)
• Vocabulary and definitions
• Author background
• Historical context (including links to videos on the Black Plague)
• Comprehension check questions
• Post-reading symbolism and imagery activities
• Thought-provoking discussion/reflection questions
This resource includes a fully editable PowerPoint you can customize for your classroom as well as a PDF to ensure you can use the file without any technical or compatibility issues.
IMPORTANT: THIS PRODUCT IS ALSO SOLD AS PART OF MY “MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH” VALUE BUNDLE
WHICH INCLUDES A COMPLETE CLOSE READING LITERARY UNIT WITH TONS OF HANDOUTS AND DETAILED ANSWER KEYS. BUY BOTH TOGETHER AND SAVE!
You may also like:
Chopin’s “Story of an Hour,” 23-Page Close Reading & Analysis Unit
The Monkey’s Paw: 18 Pages of Common Core Aligned Activities
The Second Coming: Stand Alone or Things Fall Apart Lesson (Common Core Aligned)
Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar Fun Pre-reading Activity (Common Core Aligned)
Vocabulary Activity Mega-Pack: 20+ Games, Printables and More
BUNDLE: Common Core Graphic Organizers and Posters for High School ELA Grades 9-10
Book Reports & Alternative Projects—30+ Fun Activities (Plus Rubric and PPT)
Keywords: Masque of the Red Death, The Masque of Red Death, Edgar Allan Poe, Edgar Allen Poe, short story, short story unit, close reading, horror stories, Halloween stories, symbolism, allegory, imagery, theme, mood, PowerPoint.