This is a fun, cooperative learning game to help your students practice calculating mass, volume & density!
This is how to play:
1) A problem will be read/held up/placed under a document camera (& if using laminated cards, those will be given to the students sitting in the hot seat).
2) Each group member will need to complete the problem – every student will have received a hot seat handout from the teacher.
3) The person sitting in the hot seat will complete the problem on the laminated card or white board while his/her group members are completing the same problem on their handouts.
4) When the teacher calls time, the person sitting in the hot seat will pass the white board/laminated card to the person in front of them. That person will look at the completed problem and pass it to the person in front of them if they agree with the answer….this will happen on down to the first person in the row. This should take place WITHOUT SAYING A WORD!!!
5) If a student is handed a problem & they think it was done incorrectly, they will PASS IT BACK!
6) If the student in the hot seat & gets their board/card passed back, they must fix it and try passing it forward again.
7) If the problem makes it to the person in the front row, the team has indicated that each group member agrees on the answer & it is ready to be checked.
8) A correct answer will get their team 5 points. An incorrect answer, however, will cause the team to lose 5 points. Also, the students should keep in mind that the teacher may deduct points for any talking or any “hinting” that takes place during the round.
9) Students will then rotate – the first person in the row will move to the hot seat at the back of the row & everyone else will move up one seat.
10) A new problem will be given & the same procedure will be followed.
The team with the most points at the end of the game WINS!
Your download will include:
-directions for what needs to be completed ahead of time
-how to set up for the game
-15 problem cards
-a handout for the students to work on during the game
Other Hot Seat games that you may be interested in:
Balancing Equations Hot Seat
Dimensional Analysis Hot Seat
Metric Conversions Hot Seat
Speed, Distance & Time Hot Seat
Other Mass, Volume & Density products you may be interested in:
Mass, Volume & Density Partner Activity