Do your students fully comprehend word problems?
In order to understand word problems, kids need to think about how they relate to representation, number bonds, and equations with unknowns. In this activity, kids will cut apart a set of 6 cards (one set is on each page) and match each word problem with the card that shows the problem using drawings, number bonds, or equations. This would be a great partner activity with questioning such as:
"Do you agree that they match?"
“How do you know they match?”
“How could you prove that they match?”
Kids can glue the matches on paper and write about their thinking. If they explain their thinking, this can be a formative assessment!
This no-prep activity of 6 problem sets is great for kids who are building their understanding of common core addition and subtraction word problems with numbers through 20!
Since the numbers are the same in all of the problems in a set, kids are forced to look beyond the numbers and think about what is happening in the word problem. This activity would be appropriate for Kindergarten enrichment, any 1st grader, or 2nd graders needing support. I have used this activity as an effective intervention strategy by using explicit questioning and discussion as students make their matches.
★ Check out the FULL PREVIEW!
Each of the 6 problem sets has an answer key included.
Make Math fun, dynamic & rewarding for your students!! Links below to preview & order some of my other resources.
• ★ BEST SELLER! Math Games and Centers MEGA Bundle for Grades 1 and 2!
• ★ BEST SELLER! Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit: Addition and Subtraction Facts–includes 56 Domino cards!
• ★ BEST SELLER! Match Up - Building Better Problem Solvers. K, 1st, 2nd & 3rd.
• ★ BEST SELLER! Magic Square Puzzle Bundle: Addition and Subtraction Math Facts
• ★ BEST SELLER! Arrow Math - Addition and Subtraction on a Hundred Chart
• Dividing Larger Numbers - Introducing with Math Tools
• Tricky Tens Game - Ways to Make Ten
• Cross One Out - Math Warm Ups that Promote Reasoning
• April Math Journals with Number Bonds: Kindergarten
• 1st Grade Compare Word Problems-A Graphic Organizer that Actually Works! (SET of 2)
• 1st Grade Word Problems - Show It 3 Ways!
• 2nd Grade Two Step Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 2nd Grade Money Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Perimeter Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Elapsed Time Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 4th Grade Winter Word Problems - Close Reading
• 4th Grade Holiday Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 5th Grade Fraction Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 5th grade Decimal Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 5th Grade Volume Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 5th Grade Fraction Division Word Problems - Close Reading!
• Math Fact Strategy Posters - FREE!
Thanks for visiting. Look for more resource products coming soon!
Math Lady in MD