This activity can be used at Valentine’s Day or at any point in the year when you are teaching inverses. Since it has hearts, Valentine’s Day would be a great time! Students will practice matching a function with its inverse for the following operations: adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, square root, squaring, cube root, cubing, and some other higher degrees.
Scrabbled Sheet – 2 pages of hearts
Solutions – 2 pages of hearts matched correctly
1. Copy a class set of the Scrabbled Sheets of hearts.
2. Each student will need a pair of scissors and a glue stick. You may choose to pass out a sheet of construction paper for the students to use for gluing their final answers. Students can also glue to a sheet of notebook paper.
3. Instruct the students to cut out each heart on their Scrabbled Sheets.
4. Then the students must find the matching inverse for each function.
5. Suggest that students be sure of their match before gluing.
6. When the students are sure of their match, glue the heart back together either on the construction paper or on their piece of notebook paper.
You may choose to collect this activity as a classwork grade or as a quiz. The Solutions show the correct matching for all of the functions.
This activity can still be completed with just 1 page, depending on how much class time you allow. Each page of the activity has the matching pieces for the students to complete correctly.