In this lecture students will be challenged to:
1. understand and appreciate that human existence is possible only because of the crust of this planet.
2. learn and understand the step-by-step composition of the crust.
3. learn and understand the basic structure of atoms.
4. realize and appreciate that the crust is composed primarily of eight basic types of elements.
5. describe, explain, and give specific examples of the four main categories of minerals.
6. learn and understand the methods by which minerals may be identified.
7. describe the characteristics of each category of rock and explain the origin of each type
8. learn and explain the rock cycle.