Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.15 MB | 5 pages
Common Core Math- Spiral Reviews!
Need a quick, easy way to keep your students' math skills sharp and assess their understanding of concepts and skills? Math box reviews are so easy to use! Simply use them as sponge activities, or as a great way to begin a math lesson.
This zip file contains 5 complete spirals. Each spiral has 9 math box reviews, one math box quiz, and a tracking sheet.
Here's how they work:
Students complete a review daily/weekly. Teachers pose a string of math computations for students to solve mentally and record in the "mental math" box. Reviews are corrected as a class, and students use the tracking sheet to record their results. All this takes less than 10 minutes!
1. Distribute math box review to students and assign them boxes 1-6
2. After a few minutes (or as students are finished), pose a mental math string. "Start with the number 48, add 2, multiply that by 6. What do you get? Write that number in your mental math box."
*It is not necessary for all students to complete the review before you move on. Struggling students will have 9 opportunities to practice and strengthen that skill in subsequent math box reviews.
3. Ask students to take out a correcting pen. "If you wrote your name at the top, put a star next to it. If not, then circle and correct it now."
4. Continue correcting the math box review. "If you wrote ____ as the answer to number 1 put a star next to it. If not, circle and correct it now." This is the sequence you will use to correct each math box review.
5. Once corrected, students either star or X each question on the tracking sheet.
Each spiral focuses on 6 different concepts/skills. As you and your students work through the 9 reviews, patterns will emerge that will let you (and the student) identify certain concepts and skills he/she is struggling with. This is the perfect tool to help identify students to work with in flexible remediation groups!
At the end of each spiral (9 math box reviews), students take a quiz to evaluate their progress on the 6 focused math concepts/skills.