ADDING FRACTIONS: UNLIKE DENOMINATORS: GAMES: MATH WORKSHOP: CRITICAL THINKING
This product has two parts to it. The goal is for students to build conceptual understanding of adding fractions with unlike denominators by using an egg carton model. They work with thirds, fourths, sixths, and twelfths.
PART ONE: The first part consists of a fraction sorting activity. This lays the groundwork for students’ success with the game. Students create pictures of thirds, fourths, sixth, and twelfths using egg carton pictures. They glue these onto a sorting sheet for use during the game.
PART TWO: Using spinners provided in this product, students spin for two fractions. They put these in an addition equation to solve, using a scratch sheet with space for their equations and pictures to draw on. The object of the game is for a player to fill up his/her egg carton before his/her partner. In the end, they write their final fraction down.
This product includes:
1. Three pages of teacher talk notes/plans.
2. An example egg carton fraction page. (Black and white)
3. Two blank egg carton masters for use with the sorting activity. (Black and white)
4. Two sorting pages for student use. (Black and white)
5. A score sheet. (Black and white)
6. A note scratch sheet. (Black and white)
7. A page of spinners. (Black and white)