ADDING FRACTIONS: UNLIKE DENOMINATORS: GAMES: MATH WORKSHOP: CRITICAL THINKING
This product has two parts to it. The goal is for students to build conceptual understanding of adding fractions with unlike denominators by using clock models. They work with thirds, fourths, sixths, and twelfths on an analogue clock face, keeping track of elapsed minutes as they color in portions of the clock.
PART ONE: The first part consists of a clock fraction identification activity. This lays the groundwork for students’ success with the game. Students create pictures of thirds, fourths, sixth, and twelfths using laminated clock posters. Then, students complete a "Thinking Through The Clock" page that requires them to zero in on fractions of an hour.
PART TWO: Using spinners provided in this product, students spin for two fractions. They put these in an addition equation to solve, using a scratch sheet with space for their equations and pictures to draw on. The object of the game is for a player to travel around 8 clocks, completing 480 minutes. In the end, they write their final fraction and minutes down.
This product includes:
1. Two pages of teacher talk notes/plans.
2. Four mini clock face posters for lamination (color).
3. Four mini black and white clock face posters for student use or lamination.
4. A "Thinkin' Through The Clock" sheet for student use (Black and white).
5. A score sheet. (Black and white)
6. A page of spinners. (Black and white)