Also included in
- Make math a lot more fun! Cover ALL of the 4th grade Common Core word problem standards in one bundled resource! These task cards cover math standards: 4.OA.A.2, 4.OA.A.3, 4.NF.B.3D, 4.NF.B.4C, and 4.MD.A.2. Save $ when you purchase the bundle of three! Appealing pictures on each task card help stud$10.00$13.00Save $3.00
Wizards and magicians are ready to conjure up math word problem understanding with these fun task cards that cover math standard 4.OA.A.2. Task cards are one of the most versatile resources in any classroom. Use the low color set (nicely prints in black and white) included in this resource to send home for homework, review, or extra practice.
This resource is primarily one step multiplication and division story problems. It also includes 6 guess and check problems. For example:
"Hank the Hare needs to know a total of 36 tricks before the new magic show opens tomorrow. That means he needs to learn 5 times more tricks than he knows today."
How many more tricks does he need to learn?"
All buyers have access to the TPT digital overlay of this resource, which has been annotated for you. It's ready to go! Click on the "Use as a Buyer" red box to access this digital version. Teachers will also be able to edit the directions to customize the resource if needed.
Task cards can be used in many different ways:
1. Centers and/or stations…since task cards can be done in any
order, they are easy to share.
2. In pairs or small groups
3. Whole class
a. Quick review before going home, or to specials
b. Teacher reads question, students write answers on white
c. Use as an assessment. Task cards don’t feel like a test, so
test phobic students are more relaxed.
4. Independent work at seats
5. Send home for homework as reinforcement for students
6. Test Prep
7. Games..Use game boards and dice. Place task cards upside down above game board. As students move around board they must answer task card questions. Partners use the grading key to tell if the answer is correct. Student may only move if the answer is correct.
8. Scoot...Give one answer sheet and one task card per student. Give students 30 seconds to answer their task card question on the answer sheet. Set timer for 30 seconds again and say, "Scoot". Student leaves his/her card on their desk and move to the next seat to answer that question. When the timer dings say, "Scoot" again and students move to next seat until all cards are answered on the answer sheet.
9. Scavenger Hunt...Hide cards around the classroom. Give each student one answer sheet. Students search for cards and answer them as they are found.
10. Jenga...Number Jenga blocks to 36 (or less if you wish). Students play in groups of three-four and take turns pulling them out. Students all answer the task card number on each block on their answer sheet until the Jenga blocks tumble.
11. Exit ticket...Pass one task card to each student plus one sticky note. Students answer on the sticky note and place on board on the way out the door.
This resource includes:
- Table of Contents
- Teacher Notes
- Strategy Page (for addressing "uses drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem" as this is often difficult for students.
- 2 sets of 40 Task Cards (one in full color, one in low color) to meet printing needs
- Student Answer Sheets
- Answer Keys
Comments about this resource include:
Great product! Thank you!
Thank you so much! This was awesome!
Kids loved these! Thank you!
If you are interested in seeing other resources in the math word problem series for 4th grade see:
OR, if you would like a discount on all 3 word problem resources for 4th grade see:
If you would like to receive notices of new resources and 1/2 off during the first 48 hours of launch, click on the "follow me" button next to the green star.
About this Teacher Author
National Board Certified Teacher (2001-2011), Masters in Curriculum, Gifted Certified, Cobb County Elementary Teacher of the Year, Addison Elementary Teacher of the Year, Bullard Elementary Teacher of the Year, Atlanta Journal and Constitution Honor Teacher finalist ($5000 award), District 3 Georgia Science Teacher of the Year, Author of seven books published by The Child's World Press, Wrote online k-12 social studies and language arts curriculum for Coca Cola, curriculum writer for CNN, curriculum writer for American Legacy Publishers 2009-2014, 25 years teaching experience in grades 1st-4th.
Math Magic: Math Word Problem Task Cards for Common Core: 4 OA.A.2 by Jan Bernard is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License