Math Mammoth Grade 1 Complete Curriculum gives you everything you need for first grade math. At the heart of the curriculum are two student worktexts (A and B), each with enough lessons to cover about half a year of math work. These worktexts contain all the instruction and the exercises in the same book — which makes lesson preparation a breeze. The worktexts are written directly for the student, and allows most children (if they can read) to learn directly from the books.
You will also get separate answer keys, chapter tests, additional cumulative reviews (I do recommend you use at least some of them), and a versatile worksheet maker (Internet access required) for those times when a child needs just a bit more practice.
- Math Mammoth focuses on conceptual understanding. It explains the "WHY", so the children can understand the math, not just learn "HOW" to do it.
- Concepts are often explained with visual models, followed by exercises using those models. These visual models can take the place of manipulatives for many children; however, it is very easy to add corresponding manipulatives to the lessons if so desired.
- The curriculum is mastery-oriented. This means it concentrates at length on a topic, delving into its various aspects. This promotes conceptual understanding, as opposed to spiral curricula that often tend to jump from topic to topic.
- There is a strong emphasis on mental math and number sense.
- It requires very little teacher preparation.
- The curriculum has no separate teacher's manual nor is it scripted.
- The introduction to each chapter has some notes for the teacher concerning the material in the chapter. All the instruction is written directly for the student in the worktext, and there are links to videos where you can view Maria teaching the material.
- After each chapter introduction, you will find a list of Internet links and resources (games, quizzes, animations, etc.) that can be used for fun, illustrations, and further practice.
- The chapter on coins (chapter 8) is included in seven currencies: US, Canadian, British, European, Australian, New Zealand, and South African money. You will automatically get all of these versions when you buy this digital version of Grade 1 Complete Curriculum.
- The PDF files are enabled for annotation. This means that if you prefer, your student can fill in the worktexts on the computer (using Adobe Reader version 9 or greater), or on a tablet using a PDF app with annotation capabilities.
- This version also comes with BONUS Soft-Pak programs. The 6 programs in Soft-Pak (4 math, 1 language arts, 1 list maker) offer both on-screen and printable activities in a low-graphic, high content format.
The main areas of study in grade 1 curriculum are:
- The concepts of addition and subtraction, and strategies for addition and subtraction facts (chapters 1-2; chapter 4);
- Developing understanding of whole number relationships and place value till 100 (chapter 3 and chapter 7);
- Developing understanding of measuring lengths as iterating length units (chapter 6); and
- Reasoning about attributes of geometric shapes, such as the number of sides and the number of corners, and composing and decomposing geometric shapes (chapter 6).
- Additional topics we study in first grade are clock to the half hour (chapter 5) and counting coins (chapter 8).
The table of contents may be viewed in the attached sample preview.