This is a product description for Math Misconception Mystery - 5th Grade - Video 11 - Multiply or Divide Decimals.
(Common Core Standard: MACC.5.NBT.2.7, Florida: MAFS.5.NBT.2.7)
Math Misconception Mystery
is an interactive and educational video series used to encourage problem solving, reasoning, and logical thinking to achieve a mastery of grade level Common Core math standards. Students watch four quirky characters give their reasoning and solution to a particular math problem. Then, students channel their “inner detectives,” independently or in small groups, to decide on not only who is correct, but why this character is correct (and why the other three characters are incorrect). Equipped with their Detective Diaries
, students jot down notes, observations, and questions to help them solve the problem.
Go ahead and take Math Misconception Mystery for a TEST DRIVE with your 5th graders! Click here for a FREEBIE lesson on MULTI-DIGIT MULTIPLICATION.
WHY STUDENTS LOVE IT
• The quirky characters are fun and entertaining to watch, and provide a kid-approved detour from traditional textbooks and worksheets.
• The Mathematical Mindset Creed
, recited before each mystery, provides students with a sense of purpose and confidence that stays with them far beyond the classroom setting.
• Kids can’t help but be drawn to Ms. McCarthy’s fun and silly personality that makes learning fun.
WHY TEACHERS NEED IT
• Nothing to prep! Simply print and copy their Detective Diaries
, hit PLAY, and VOILA! You’ve got an interactive lesson that matches the standards at your fingertips.
• Students are taught to learn from their own mistakes and the mistakes of others. They discover that mistakes are just opportunities to learn and grow, which removes a lot of the pressure in learning something new.
• Each video series promotes critical thinking and collaboration tackling math misconceptions that often pose difficulties for students.
• The series is based entirely around the grade level Common Core math standards, so you don’t have to spend any of your precious time finding supplements to make sure students are getting what they need.
• Students recite The Mathematical Mindset Creed
at the beginning of each video, which helps to create a classroom of excited, confident, hardworking, and engaged students who are eager to learn. `
• Streaming videos straight from Teachers Pay Teachers make presenting the lesson easy and convenient for busy teachers.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
After you have introduced a new math skill and your students have been practicing and getting the hang of it, it is time to pull up the corresponding video in this series. Math Misconception Mystery
offers a fun and unique way to enhance your unit plan. NOTE: This series is NOT meant to introduce a skill, as each video lesson quickly dives right into deep critical thinking and analysis.
Video Sequence for Every Lesson:
1. Students are welcomed and recite the Mathematical Mindset Creed
along with Ms. McCarthy (say that three times fast!) to prepare them for another successful lesson.
2. They are then presented with a problem and asked to solve it on their own (or in small groups or with a partner, whatever works for your class.)
3. Continue playing the video and students will closely watch the four characters (who may or may not look like Ms. McCarthy dressed up in silly costumes) as they explain their work. Three of the characters will make a mistake that is often a common misconception students make. Only one character will have both the correct answer AND the correct reasoning to support their answer.
4. After each character presents his/her work, your students are instructed to jot down notes and thoughts in their Detective Diaries.
They will use this information to go back and examine/review after all four characters have given their answers.
5. Finally, your student detectives are prompted to discuss their reasoning and decide which character had the right answer and why. This is a perfect opportunity to have a whole group discussion and allow students to justify their reasons with mathematical thinking, which helps them grasp a solid understanding of the standard.
6. And, of course, you’ll be equipped with an answer key
, so you can effectively guide your students to the right answer.
With Math Misconception Mystery
, your classroom is instantly transformed into a detective’s office where your students are the sleuths, mastering grade-level math skills, and having a great time doing it! Watch as your students giggle and interact with the characters on-screen. In this new series, Ms. McCarthy combines just the right amount of Growth Mindset strategies, humor, and engagement, creating an opportunity for students and teachers to go deeper into the Common Core math standards.
Other 5th Grade Video Lessons in this Series:
Video #1 (FREEBIE): Multiplication.
Video #2: Division.
Video #3: Evaluate Numerical Expressions.
Video #4: Interpret Numerical Expressions.
Video #5: Place Value.
Video #6: Powers of 10.
Video #7: Read and Write Decimals.
Video #8: Comparing Decimals.
Video #9: Rounding Decimals.
Video #10: Add and Subtract Decimals.
Video #11: Multiply or Divide Decimals.
Video #12: Add and Subtract Fractions.
So, what do I get with my purchase?
• Math Misconception Mystery
videos (streamed directly from TeachersPayTeachers)
• Detective Diary
(to print, copy and distribute to students)
• Answer Key
• Printable version of the Mathematical Mindset Creed
(to post in your classroom and/or give each student his or her own copy for reference).
• Sneak peeks at other McCarthy Math Academy products that pertain to your grade level
Are there videos for every grade?
I’m spending long days in the studio (wink) and have big goals to create a video for EVERY MATH SKILL for grades K-6. First, I am launching the intermediate grades (3rd – 6th), and then I’ll get busy creating video series’ for my sweet primary friends!
How much instructional time will this take to implement?
The videos will range from 5 – 10 minutes. I would allow 10 – 20 additional minutes for your whole group discussion and proper completion of the Detective Diary. In total, that’s a range of 15 – 30 minutes!
How will I know when there’s a new mystery to solve for my grade level?
Keep coming back to see when a new video is posted, or better yet, click the green star next to my logo to become a follower. You’ll start receiving helpful emails and updates about my store (and did someone say discounts and freebies?).
Will this work for homeschooling and tutoring?
Absolutely! Math Misconception Mystery
is a great tool for all students in all environments to gain a deeper understanding of the Common Core math standards. Since these videos are created to foster a discussion, feel free to get in there with your students and generate a conversation.
I want it all! How can I get a grade level bundle?
Right now, videos and supporting documents can only be purchased one at a time. In the 2018-2019 school year, my mission is to create a way for you to access all the Math Misconception Mystery
videos and resources. Stay tuned for more information!
If you have any other questions, please contact me using the Q&A tab or email me directly at McCarthyMathAcademy@gmail.com.
And finally, my dear teacher-friends…thank you for striving to make this world a better place. What you do with your life matters! Despite the struggles in the education world, keep pushing to make learning FUN and relevant. Join me on a mission to “Make it FUN. Make it CLICK. Make it STICK!”