This project is such a great way for fourth and fifth graders to utilize the skills they've learned about converting measurements.
Your students will see their new home and will revew these skills in these rooms:
- kitchen- estimating and adding money while shopping for groceries
- living room- elapsed time while planning your weekday evenings
- back yard- area and perimeter while planning a garden
- bedroom- converting units of length while planning the layout
- bathroom- converting units of capacity while learning about how much water you use
- dining room- creating a line plot while collecting water bottles from a party
- exterior of the house- locating and measuring angles
This is great for a beginning of the year project for fifth graders or an end of a measurement unit in fourth grade. It can also be used as an enrichment project for one or more of your students.
Just like with my other math projects... students become engaged and see how math is used in the real world.