Get all four of EMPOWER's Math Strategy Guides in one big bundle! This 111-page bundle includes:
- an introduction
- SINGLE-DIGIT ADDITION STRATEGY GUIDE
- MULTI-DIGIT ADDITION STRATEGY GUIDE
- SINGLE-DIGIT SUBTRACTION STRATEGY GUIDE
- MULTI-DIGIT SUBTRACTION STRATEGY GUIDE
- SINGLE-DIGIT MULTIPLICATION STRATEGY GUIDE
- MULTI-DIGIT MULTIPLICATION STRATEGY GUIDE
- DIVISION PART 1 STRATEGY GUIDE
- DIVISION PART 2 STRATEGY GUIDE
- a glossary of terms.
All pages can be printed in COLOR or BLACK + WHITE.
What is the purpose of the Math Quick Guide?
• Provides a list of common strategies and “range of algorithms” for each operation that includes, but is not limited to, the standard algorithm.
• Unites common names or vocabulary for the variety of math strategies students discover, create, and use, which facilitates using common vocabulary to increase understanding.
• Shows examples of multiple ways a teacher can record a student’s strategy, and shows how a teacher or text book might teach students to record their thinking.
• Helps teachers and students recognize that although recorded strategies look different, they have common mathematical principles.
• Lists strategies in a progression from most concrete to abstract.
• Connects and synthesizes lessons, methods, and strategies seen in a variety of resources (text books, internet, and professional readings).
• Creates a reference sheet that teachers can use before building anchor charts about math strategies with their students.
• Provides a resource that can be shared with parents to help them understand strategies and algorithms they may not have experienced in school.