What is the purpose of the Math Quick Guide?
• Provides a list of common strategies and “range of algorithms” for each operation that includes, but is not limited to, the standard algorithm.
• Unites common names or vocabulary for the variety of math strategies students discover, create, and use, which facilitates using common vocabulary to increase understanding.
• Shows examples of multiple ways a teacher can record a student’s strategy, and shows how a teacher or text book might teach students to record their thinking.
• Helps teachers and students recognize that although recorded strategies look different, they have common mathematical principles.
• Lists strategies in a progression from most concrete to abstract.
• Connects and synthesizes lessons, methods, and strategies seen in a variety of resources (text books, internet, and professional readings).
• Creates a reference sheet that teachers can use before building anchor charts about math strategies with their students.
• Provides a resource that can be shared with parents to help them understand strategies and algorithms they may not have experienced in school.
This 34-page bundle includes an introduction, SINGLE-DIGIT MULTIPLICATION STRATEGY GUIDE, MULTI-DIGIT MULTIPLICATION STRATEGY GUIDE, and a glossary of terms. All pages can be printed in COLOR or BLACK + WHITE.