(4-page survey/PreTest and 4-page KEY)
This is a survey, or pretest assessment to quickly get a sense for how well students know their basic operations with multiple-digit numbers, fractions, operations with signed numbers, properties, and types of numbers.
It is intended to assess a broad array of these things quickly, yet completely. It does this with only four pages, and a four-page key is also included (questions with answers). Formatting is clean and crisp and uses equation-editor software (Word required to view, MathType required to edit math expressions)
Detailed problem-type coverage:
- Addition/Subtraction/Multiplication/Long Division with 2 to 4 digit numbers
- Math vocabulary terms (8 of them): whole number, integer, etc.
- Addition/Subtraction/Multiplication/Long Division with decimal numbers
- Fractions: Adding/Subtracting with and w/o common denominators
- Fractions: Multiplying/Dividing common fractions and mixed numbers
- Absolute value
- Signed Numbers: Small number adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing
- Properties (8 of them): Asking for description and example of each (associative, distributive, etc.)
The survey can be used in two passes with students if desired. An optional initial pass would have students only consider each problem and circle Y or N next to each based on their confidence that they can solve it. This pass only takes 5 minutes or less.
A second pass would be to have the students do as many problems as they can and might take approximately 30 minutes.
Thad's Resources for Busy Teachers
(click for complete & concise product/price list with links to all products)
Copyright 2008, Thad J. Ackerman
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License