This is an in depth professional development video of a model lesson and notation for a dot image math talk for kindergarten and first grade. I will also walk you through step-by-step of my planning routine for this dot image math talk.
THIS VIDEO IS LICENSED FOR 1-5 TEACHERS TO VIEW. If more than 5 teachers/administrators will view this video, please use the multiple license option. If you need a school or district license, please email me at email@example.com and I will set you up a special license for that! :)
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR THIS PD VIDEO
1. How do I plan for a dot image math talk?
2. What does this lesson look like in kindergarten?
3. What does this lesson look like in first grade?
IN THIS VIDEO YOU WILL SEE...
1:13 How do I plan for a dot image math talk?
2:15 Planning Document example
2:44 Setting Goals for the dot image math talk
3:28 Anticipating math strategies for the dot images
6:10 Planning for guiding questions
8:03 What does this lesson look like in kindergarten?
11:34 Counting all strategy and notation
12:45 Commutative property strategy and notation
14:51 Counting on strategy and notation
18:04 What does this lesson look like in first grade?
19:07 Subitizing in multiple groups and notation
23:56 Counting by 2's strategy and addition and multiplication notation
27:36 Reflecting on the lesson
28:25 In the Supporting Document
INCLUDED IN THE DOWNLOADABLE SUPPORTING DOCUMENT
• Math Talks Planning Page blank template (2 versions...more ink and less ink)
• Math Talks Planning Page for this specific dot image
• Slides used in the video
• Note taker for taking notes or notating along with the video
• Discussion question slides for discussing after the video
• Discussion question handout for answering questions individually
• Links to related resources
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2019, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!