Have you heard about Mathematical Practices?
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
These are the math practices we use when teaching the common core standards in math. Even in primary grades? Yes - I have made it simple to help students understand how to use them.
These printables have a checklist on the bottom of the page so that your students can check which strategy they used (in KID FRIENDLY LANGUAGE!)
I have included a sample of. the posters I made - SOLD SEPARATELY IN MY TpT store - I do not know how to link because I am new to TpT.
Take a moment to look at the preview - I think you will see how easy it can be to teach to the common core standards using the correct strategies in the primary grades so our students will grow up familiar with the language.