Math skills and Food!
Have you ever gotten the question, "When am I EVER going to USE this!?"
Well, that is one question you won't have to answer this time.
They will see immediately how important math skills are in shopping.
With food labels, this method is an interactive way teach money, estimation, line plot of data, analysis of data and nutrition in one lesson. Comparative studies of food choices with nutrition labels are a fun way to explore numbers in our world.
Teaching students with hands on activities helps the brain store memories for long lasting effects and understanding rather than simple rote work. 42 pages of supplies, directions, notes.
I will share how interconnected the actions, kinesthetic, mental skills and the feelings the students have about the learning activity will enhance their learning of the material.
* How to Count Back Change with money
* How to Construct a Line Plot
* Whole Number, Mixed Number and Front End Estimation
* Product Comparison worksheet
* Scorecard and a procedure to set up a timed grocery shopping trip
* 60 food cards and their respective nutrition labels so students can compare prices, protein levels, sugar and carbohydrates!
* Detailed levels for various math abilities within your class.
* Common Core Standard references